Dhaka University law professor Sheikh Hafizur Rahman Karzon, one of 16 people arrested under the Anti-Terrorism Act after a "mob attack" at the Dhaka Reporters Unity, has told a court that the allegations brought by the state are “false” and demanded justice.
Produced before a magistrate’s court in Dhaka on Friday alongside former minister Abdul Latif Siddique and others, Karzon stood in the dock and said they were “victims, not criminals”, reports bdnews24.com.
He asked for their immediate release and sought Tk 50 million in compensation for what he described as harassment, saying that their constitutional rights had been violated.
“We were attacked by a mob and then arrested instead of those who carried out the assault,” Karzon told the court.
“We are the victims. We demand redress. Release us immediately. We have been humiliated and demand Tk 50 million in compensation. Grant us bail immediately. We don`t belong to any political party.”
While some of the detainees sought bail, Latif, who was expelled from the Awami League in 2014, did not. They were subsequently sent to jail by the court in response to a police petition to keep them in custody.
The arrests stem from an incident on Thursday, when Latif and other veterans of the 1971 Liberation War came under attack during a roundtable discussion at the Dhaka Reporters Unity. The event, titled “Our Great Liberation War and the Constitution of Bangladesh”, was organised by the platform Mancha 71.
The programme was coordinated by Gono Forum leader Prof Abdullah Al Mahmud (Bir Protik) and senior Supreme Court lawyer ZI Khan Panna. Former Gono Forum president Kamal Hossain had been invited as the chief guest. But before his arrival, a group of men in their 20s and 30s, identifying themselves as “July Warriors”, stormed the hall while chanting slogans.
Videos circulated widely on social media show the men, reportedly linked to Jamaat-e-Islami`s student wing Islami Chhatra Shibir, locking the doors and tearing down banners for the event. They surrounded Latif and other elderly participants, harassing and assaulting them.
One chant captured on video declared, “Catch every
League man, drag them to jail.” Another widely shared video showed a freedom fighter being beaten, sparking outrage among netizens.Several attendees were injured in the confrontation. Inside the venue, activist Keshab Ranjan Sarkar was struck and suffered a head injury. Outside, Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal leader Abdullahil Kaiyum was also attacked.
Although police initially described their removal from the venue as a “rescue”, they were later charged under the Anti-Terrorism Act. The case accuses them of using the event to incite conspiracy to destabilise the state and overthrow the interim government -- allegations that Karzon rejected outright.
The detainees were brought to court on Friday morning in handcuffs, wearing helmets and bulletproof vests, which were later removed after Karzon protested.
Throughout the proceedings, Latif stood silently in the dock -- sometimes smiling faintly, sipping water, or resting his face in his hand. When journalists later asked if he had anything to say, he simply shook his head.
Speaking out against the denial of constitutional safeguards to the accused, Karzon said: “We were not given the right to appoint our lawyers, nor informed of the charges in proper time. Article 33 of the Constitution has been violated” he said.
Other defendants, including journalist Manjurul Alam Panna, echoed the same grievance. “Do you think we are the terrorists? The ones who attacked us walk free, while we are in jail.”
Defence lawyers argued that the accused were freedom fighters, teachers and journalists who had simply gathered to discuss the Liberation War, and that they were victims of an organised attack.
“For speaking about the Liberation War and the Constitution, they were mobbed, humiliated and then falsely accused,” said lawyer Farzana Yasmin Rakhi.
State prosecutors, however, opposed bail, alleging that the Mancha 71 platform was being used to hatch a political conspiracy. They claimed the accused were linked to the Awami League and plotting to bring deposed prime minister Sheikh Hasina back to the country.
`WE ARE VICTIMS`
As he was being led away to prison, Karzon told reporters he feared for their lives.
“We are the victims of terrorism, but we are being jailed as if we are the terrorists,” he said.
“The police and the court have given us no justice. This country is in the hands of those who oppose the Liberation War, but we will protect the spirit of 1971.”
Holding up a copy of the Constitution, he added: “This is the Constitution of the Liberation War, written with the blood of three million martyrs and the honour of half a million women. We will defend it.”