Over 10,000 fishermen in the Sundarbans have suspended their fishing activities amid growing fears of attacks by forest pirates, highlighting renewed security concerns in the region.
Fishermen from Dubla Char, a key hub for dry-fish processing, stopped venturing into the sea and rivers from Wednesday evening after the reported abduction of 20 colleagues on Monday night.
Their whereabouts remain unknown, causing widespread alarm among local communities.
Md Kamal Uddin Ahmed, president of the Dubla Fishermen Group and a freedom fighter, told UNB from Alorkol that inadequate security in the Sundarbans and surrounding waters has left fishermen terrified of further kidnappings.
“Over 10,000 fishermen engaged in dry-fish processing stopped fishing in the sea and rivers from Wednesday evening and are now staying idle on the char,” he said.
With the fishing season nearing its end, many fear returning home empty-handed. Kamal Uddin alleged that four pirate gangs, identified as Jahangir, Suman, Sharif and Karim Bahini, are currently active, abducting fishermen and demanding ransom. Those unable to pay, he added, are often severely beaten.
The resurgence of piracy follows years of relative calm. The Sundarbans were declared pirate-free in 2018, but attacks have reportedly increased under the interim administration. At least four fishermen were admitted to Rampal Hospital last week with serious injuries from pirate assaults.
Motasim Forazi, president of the Rampal Fishermen’s Association in Alorkol, described the situation, “Earlier we used to say, ‘Crocodiles in water, tigers on land.’ Now it’s ‘pirates at sea.”
He said over 100 fishermen are currently being held captive, with multiple abductions recorded in the past two weeks. The 20 men taken on Monday have yet to be traced, though the pirates reportedly left a mobile number for ransom negotiations.
Officials from the Forest Department expressed concern over the economic impact.
Milton Roy, officer-in-charge of the Dubla Patrol Outpost under the Sundarbans East Forest Division, warned that the fishing halt could cause significant revenue losses.
Sharankhola Forest Station Officer Md Khalilur Rahman noted that no fishermen are currently collecting permits, a situation likely to affect the division’s monthly revenue targets. Local traders, including grocers Jalal Molla, Anwar Saudagar, and Ripon Hawlader, reported a sharp decline in business due to the fishing suspension.
Assistant Conservator of Forests Md Shariful Islam said authorities have been alerted to the rise in piracy, and forest guards are working to safeguard fishermen.
As the community waits anxiously for news of the missing fishermen, the fragile balance between livelihoods and security in the Sundarbans remains under severe threat.
