A Palestinian-American property owner returned to his home in the occupied West Bank on Monday after Israeli settlers had kept residents trapped inside for more than a week, saying he feared for his safety and asking the US government for protection.
Louai Abu Ridi owns one of three houses in Qusra, near Nablus, that settlers have been surrounding since more than a week ago. The blockade has effectively cut off residents from regular access to food and other supplies, drawing international condemnation.
Abu Ridi`s brother, Qusai, has remained inside the house and has been documenting the situation. Videos he shared with AFP on Monday showed settlers riding quad bikes near the property while Israeli forces stood outside.
After arriving at Israel`s Ben Gurion Airport near Tel Aviv, Abu Ridi said he had spent days watching the situation from afar and was deeply worried about what would happen when he returned.
“I can`t let the settlers steal my house while I was watching,” he told reporters.
He said he was hoping to spend Monday night at the property but was “terrified” about returning.
“I`m asking the US officials, the embassy, to provide me protection,” Abu Ridi said.
He also expressed concern for his brother and nephew, who had been inside the house during the standoff, and questioned whether he would be able to freely enter and leave his own property.
Later on Monday, his brother said Abu Ridi had reached the house accompanied by journalists.
Abu Ridi criticised the Israeli military for failing to remove the small group of settlers and urged authorities to take concrete steps to end the standoff.
“If they`re talking on social media and they condemn it, so they need an action on the ground,” he said.
The incident has also drawn unusually strong criticism from US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, a prominent supporter of Israeli settlers.
“The actions by those who carried out this horrific act of terror meant to intimidate and harass this family are disgusting,” Huckabee wrote on X on Thursday.
