Donald Trump said on Wednesday that negotiations with Iran are at a critical stage, warning that the situation could quickly shift from diplomacy to renewed military action.
Speaking to reporters near Washington, Trump said talks were “right on the borderline” between reaching an agreement and restarting strikes on Iran.
He said the United States is prepared to act if Tehran fails to provide what he described as the “right answers” during negotiations.
At the same time, Trump expressed hope that a deal could still be reached soon, saying an agreement would save lives and prevent further conflict in the region.
The comments came days after Trump revealed that he had postponed a planned military strike on Iran following requests from Gulf Arab countries to allow more time for diplomacy.
Since then, the US president has given mixed signals, alternating between optimism about negotiations and warnings of possible military action.
Tensions between Washington and Tehran remain high amid the ongoing conflict in the Middle East and concerns over Iran’s regional activities and nuclear programme.
