Trump holds off Iran attack as talks continue

The Report Desk

Published: May 19, 2026, 11:57 AM

Trump holds off Iran attack as talks continue

Photo: Collected

Donald Trump said he postponed a planned military attack on Iran after Gulf Arab countries urged Washington to give diplomacy another chance.

Trump said a major assault had been prepared for Tuesday after Iran rejected earlier proposals aimed at ending the conflict.

However, he said leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates requested that the United States delay the operation as negotiations were continuing.

The US president warned that the military remains ready to launch a large-scale attack if no agreement is reached.

Speaking at the White House later, Trump said there had been “positive developments” in negotiations and expressed hope for a deal that would prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.

Iranian officials confirmed indirect exchanges with Washington through mediators but said Tehran continues to demand the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen Iranian assets and compensation related to the conflict.

Iran has also maintained pressure in the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil shipping route.

Meanwhile, tensions in the region remained high after Iranian forces reportedly increased military activities and regional security concerns grew following a drone strike near a nuclear facility in Abu Dhabi.

Link copied!