Pakistan launches airstrikes inside Afghanistan, Kabul reports civilian deaths

The Report Desk

Published: February 22, 2026, 08:14 PM

Pakistan launches airstrikes inside Afghanistan, Kabul reports civilian deaths

Photo: Collected

Pakistan carried out airstrikes inside Afghanistan early Sunday, saying the operation targeted hideouts of Pakistani militants blamed for recent deadly attacks at home. Afghan authorities, however, said civilians were killed in the strikes and strongly condemned the action.

According to Afghanistan’s defence ministry, the strikes hit several locations in the eastern provinces of Nangarhar and Paktika, including residential areas and a religious madrassa. Kabul said the attacks violated Afghanistan’s sovereignty and airspace.

Afghan government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said dozens of people were killed or injured, including women and children. The Afghan Red Crescent Society later confirmed that at least 18 people were killed in Nangarhar, with several others wounded.

Following the incident, Afghanistan summoned Pakistan’s ambassador in Kabul and lodged a formal protest, warning that Islamabad would be held responsible for any consequences.

Residents in the affected areas were seen removing debris from damaged homes and preparing burial ceremonies. Local elder Habib Ullah said those killed were civilians and had no links to militant groups.

Pakistan’s Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said the military carried out “intelligence-based, targeted operations” against seven camps belonging to the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), its affiliates, and an Islamic State-linked group. He said Pakistan remains committed to regional stability but must prioritise the safety of its citizens.

The airstrikes came hours after a suicide bombing hit a security convoy in Pakistan’s Bannu district, killing two soldiers. Another attack in Bajaur last week killed 11 soldiers and a child. Pakistani authorities have claimed the attacker in that incident was an Afghan national.

Islamabad has long accused Kabul of allowing TTP fighters to operate from Afghan territory, a charge denied by the Taliban administration and the militant group.

Security analysts warned that the latest strikes could further raise tensions between the two neighbours, whose relations have remained strained in recent months despite earlier efforts to ease hostilities.

Link copied!