BNP Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi has described the attack on Nurul Haque Nur, President of Gono Adhikar Parishad and former VP of Dhaka University Central Student Union (DUCSU), as a “pre-planned assault.”
Rizvi made the remarks on Sunday while visiting Nur, who is admitted to the ICU at Dhaka Medical College Hospital.
Speaking to journalists after leaving the hospital, he said, “Nur was subjected to a brutal and targeted attack. The assailants intended to kill him. If the blows had struck slightly differently, survival would have been impossible. Nur has faced 22 attacks previously, wherever he went—from Bogura to other places, he became a victim of attacks by the fascist government. We strongly condemn this incident and demand a fair investigation.”
He added, “Nur did not engage in any violent activity on Friday, yet the attackers entered the office and assaulted him. Since the defeat on 5 August, the opposing forces have been attempting various forms of intimidation. Whether G. M. Quader was involved in this attack is unclear. It is surprising that those who returned from India before the elections and insist nothing can be done without their approval are now participating in politics in Bangladesh.”
When asked whether BNP supports Gono Adhikar Parishad’s demand to ban the National Party, Rizvi said, “The party will decide on this matter.”