A man was killed after opening fire near the White House on Saturday evening, leading to a gunfight with United States Secret Service officers.
Officials identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best, who reportedly had a history of mental health issues and was previously known to the Secret Service.
Authorities said the shooting happened near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building close to the White House complex.
According to officials, the suspect pulled a gun from a bag and began firing shortly before 6pm local time. Secret Service officers returned fire, critically injuring him.
He was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
Officials also said one bystander was injured during the incident, while no law enforcement officers were hurt.
Several roads around the White House were closed as investigators examined the scene.
Reports said between 10 and 20 shots were fired during the exchange.
Law enforcement sources told US media that the suspect had previously attempted to enter the White House in 2025 and had later spent time in a psychiatric facility.
Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the shooting and was later briefed about the incident, according to officials.
Journalists on the White House grounds were rushed into secure areas after the gunfire erupted.
